Subject: "The BSD Way" [was Re: Support for ACLs]
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/10/2001 20:35:38
> Summary of "The BSD Way":  On one side, we have the people who
> believe that progress is essential.  On the other side, we have the
> people who believe that progress is fatal.

That's not how I see it - though admittedly, there probably are people
who fall into both the camps you describe.

I see it not as disagreeing over whether progress is a good idea but
rather over what constitutes progress.

As one of the two (AFAICR) voices crying "keep the BSD in NetBSD",
well, I'm not entirely sure what I mean.  I know there is something the
original BSD (as in, the products of CSRG) has that I like.  NetBSD
used to have it, and in large part that's what kept me a happy NetBSD
"customer" for so long.  But NetBSD has lost some of it and appears to
be losing more, which is what I'm unhappy about.

Unfortunately, I don't have a good statement of what it is.  Calling it
the BSD Way is such a vague phrase that it's not very helpful, but at
the time I used it it was the most accurate phrase I had.  I would now
say something like "suited to tinkering".

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca