Subject: Re: Support for ACLs
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/09/2001 13:33:34
On Thu, Mar 08, 2001 at 12:08:33PM -0500, Todd Vierling wrote:
> The goal is to add ACL's to ffs filesystem only.  AFS is a completely
> different filesystem concept, and *unrelated* to this thread.

Speaking as one who keeps a large group project on a large LFS
partition, I'd *really* like to see ACLs there, even more than in
FFS.

Also, will ACLs added only to FFS be visible across NFS? They need
to be for any kind of lab installation. (One instance in which I
find ACLs under Solaris extremely useful: I am one of the
administrators of a lab and related systems for a small college's
computer science department... ACLs allow students to work together
in a much more sane way than if we had to add group entries all the
time, but this only works because Solaris's NFS exports these ACLs
on the students home directorys--all on the same E450--to all of the
Ultra 5 and 10 clients.)

This makes me agree with Thor Lancelot, that what's needed for ACLs
to truly be useful under NetBSD *is* precisely the in-kernel layer
that Lord Isildur seems so violently opposed to, but it's definitely
still something that could be protected by kernel configuration
options.

The argument about which way should be default is not one I want to
come anywhere near without an asbestos suit, though.

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net