Subject: Re: Support for ACLs
To: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@quick.com.au>
From: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@umbar.vaxpower.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/09/2001 01:49:18
On Thu, 8 Mar 2001, Simon J. Gerraty wrote:

> >don't underestimate the importance of staying true to the BSD way. This
> [sniped]
>
> Sorry, but everytime I read this sort of thing I can't help but wonder
> if the BSD gods giggle when they read it.
>
> I'm not sure that BSD was ever about anything except inovation.
> NetBSD is about doing things right.

well, over the years they (and we) have come across some ways of doing
things that stuck over the logn term, which were all pretty consistent with
a philosophy which seems to be an endangered species these days. It wasnt
deliberately so, it evolved that way. At some point, i think, things
passed the point of optimality in this regard, and i like to keep the idea
from being forgotten for fear of the remaining BSD systems, NetBSD foremost,
from turning into linux.

> If you want stasis, I'm sure there are 4.2BSD or earlier tapes
> still available and I seem to recall SCO making 32V licenses available
> just so you can run 4.x on your vax.

and, as a matter of fact, i do. 4.3/vax 3600/publicly accessible:
cmuccvax.vaxpower.org guest/guest!

*grin*

happy hacking,
isildur