Subject: QUOTA are good (Was: Re: Support for ACLs)
To: <>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/08/2001 21:44:03
On Thu, Mar 08, 2001 at 12:45:11PM -0500, Lord Isildur wrote:

> > 	Hmm - why is ACL support any more 'unhealthy' than say quota
> > 	support with options QUOTA?
>
> i don't use quotas either. I put user-writable stuff on separate filesystems
> and care a lot less if they fill up all the way.

QUOTA don't have much overhead. After actually reading the paper about their
design and implementation, I activated them, back then, on the old Sun4/390
server serving a dozen sparc1/1+/ELC machines, with no visible impact.

On the contrary, suddenly it was possible to get a users disk usage within
a few ms, instead of with 5 minutes of du -s .

Regards,
	-is