Subject: Re: Support for ACLs
To: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@umbar.vaxpower.org>
From: Johan Danielsson <joda@pdc.kth.se>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/08/2001 17:23:12
Lord Isildur <mrfusion@umbar.vaxpower.org> writes:

> I am familiar with the workings of the permissions system and find
> it to be quite adequate and well-featured enough to do acl-like
> things without more bloat and modification.

Then you haven't used a *multi* user system. Having to edit a group
file very time you want someone to be able to read a file is a real
pain. And even if you scrapped the group-file concept, in favour of
some more dynamic method, you can still only have one group per file.

> i'm watching kernels get bigger and bigger as people shovel more and
> more stuff into the kernel instead of doing it in userland.

How do you propose putting acl:s in userspace without a substantial
performance degradation?

/Johan