Subject: Re: Device Properties: The Next Generation
To: None <eeh@netbsd.org>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@sibyte.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/01/2001 11:29:45
eeh@netbsd.org writes:
> My plan for machines that use OpenFirmware is to simply pass
> the queries directly to the firmware and not do any translation.
> Property translation is guaranteed to lose in such an environment.

It's not clear that you can actually get away with this...  That
means, for instance, that the properties values as defined in NetBSD
must match exactly those defined in OFW... Which may not be desirable
at all in many cases.

Anyway, I've thought about it some more over the last couple of days
(i've been busy with other things), and indeed I think
PROP_SEARCH-to-search-parents vs. search-only-named-device is probably
a good-enough thing.

So, could you re-post a copy of your latest proposal, with all the
feedback that you're planning to integrate pulled in?

thanks,

chris