Subject: re: Device Properties: The Next Generation
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@sibyte.com>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/23/2001 15:16:37

   > 	It's worth re-emphasizing that your proposal specifies the mechanism
   > 	for looking up properties, but doesn't actually say what properties
   > 	should be looked up, should be passed down from parents, should be
   > 	globally defined, etc.  Those things really should be subject to
   > 	another discussion entirely, but really come after the definition of
   > 	the interface, to my mind.
   >
   > Now you have completely lost me.

   Hmm.  Well, mrg seems to mostly share your world-view, but seemed to
   understand what I was saying here.  Perhaps he can explain it to you
   better than i can.  8-)

OK.

as i read it, cgd is saying we want to define the interfaces that
props will use _completely_ separate from the actual usage of these
proprties.  eg, we will not define any bus/device/etc "protocol"
until after the framework has been completed.  we need to get this
interface *right* and then start using it.