Subject: Re: mmap eats memory
To: Andrew Kilpatrick <andrew@andrewkilpatrick.org>
From: Chuck Silvers <chuq@chuq.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/19/2001 23:45:42
er, let me amend that to be "no way ... without changing the application."
if you can change the application, then you could use madvise()
to set MADV_SEQUENTIAL on the mapping before you scan through it
(if you're always accessing sequentially).  if you're also accessing
the mapping randomly, then this won't necessarily save you.
you can also experiment with MADV_FREE to explicitly flush ranges of
the file data if need be, but that would be more complicated.

-Chuck