Subject: Re: NetBSD/hpcarm snap code
To: Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org>
From: Reinoud Zandijk <imago@kabel065011.kabel.utwente.nl>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/16/2001 23:10:37
Hi Ben,

On Fri, 16 Feb 2001, Ben Harris wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Feb 2001, Jason R Thorpe wrote:
>
> > We support several ARM CPUs and ARM CPU core logic.  That stuff should
> > go into sys/arch/arm/.  Stuff that is CPU model specific should go
> > into a subdirectory of that directory.  E.g.:
> >
> > 	arch/arm/arm
> > 	arch/arm/arm{2,6,7,8}
> > 	arch/arm/sa{110,11x0}
> > 	arch/arm/ebsa285
> > 	arch/arm/ofw
>
> > 	arch/acorn{26,32}
> > 	arch/cats
> > 	arch/dnard
>
> > 	dev/acorn/iomd
> > 	dev/acorn/vidc
>
> That sounds quite reasonable -- have most of the code living under
> sys/arch/arm and sys/dev, then the other sys/arch/${MACHINE} directories
> contain code that's just specific to those machines (probably very
> little) and pull in the right assortment of stuff from elsewhere.

Sounds reasonable to be too ... allthough ....
   vidc1     : only used in A3x0/A4x0/A5000  ( -> arch/acorn26)
   ioc, memc : only used in A3x0/A4x0/A5000  ( -> arch/acorn26)
   iomd      : only used in A7000 and RiscPC ( -> arch/acorn32)
   vidc20    : only used in A7000, RiscPC    ( -> arch/acorn32)
   podules   : all acorn                     ( -> sys/dev/acorn/podules)

As stated before, the RiscPC can have arm{6,7,8,sa110} so that makes it a
bit complicated.... what about extending the current processor dependent
functionpointer list for f.e. cache flushing etc. and include pmap hooks
etc... ? a redirection more though :(

> I'm not entirely convinced of the precise details of the layout, but the
> overall scheme seems sane.  Of course, that doesn't make getting there
> from here easy...

Quite a shift :(

Cheers,
Reinoud