Subject: Re: NetBSD/hpcarm snap code
To: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
From: Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/16/2001 21:33:03
On Fri, 16 Feb 2001, Jason R Thorpe wrote:

> We support several ARM CPUs and ARM CPU core logic.  That stuff should
> go into sys/arch/arm/.  Stuff that is CPU model specific should go
> into a subdirectory of that directory.  E.g.:
>
> 	arch/arm/arm
> 	arch/arm/arm{2,6,7,8}
> 	arch/arm/sa{110,11x0}
> 	arch/arm/ebsa285
> 	arch/arm/ofw

> 	arch/acorn{26,32}
> 	arch/cats
> 	arch/dnard

> 	dev/acorn/iomd
> 	dev/acorn/vidc

That sounds quite reasonable -- have most of the code living under
sys/arch/arm and sys/dev, then the other sys/arch/${MACHINE} directories
contain code that's just specific to those machines (probably very
little) and pull in the right assortment of stuff from elsewhere.

I'm not entirely convinced of the precise details of the layout, but the
overall scheme seems sane.  Of course, that doesn't make getting there
from here easy...