Subject: Re: NetBSD/hpcarm snap code
To: Chris Gilbert <chris@paradox.demon.co.uk>
From: Reinoud Zandijk <imago@kabel065011.kabel.utwente.nl>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/16/2001 21:40:53
Hi Chris,

On Fri, 16 Feb 2001, Chris Gilbert wrote:
> > I thought the consensus was to have:
> >
> > 	arch/archidemes
> > 	arch/acornriscpc
> > 	arch/cats
> > 	arch/dnard
> > 	arch/hpcarm
> > 	arch/rc7500
>
> Hmm, is it possible to have a arch/acorn dir for the shared bits between the
> arch, rpc and a7000's  (note that a7000 is currently a seperate kernel, this
> perhaps should be investigated on if a merge of A7000 and RPC is possible)  I
> presume the split is mostly based on having a GENERIC kernel for each?

As Jason suggested a sys/arch/acorn would be a good idea; they all look
alike and can share stuff. But technically they aren't all acorns though
:) is the Imago a really new port or a variant on the Acorn theme?

That would bring it down to :
  arch/arm          <- for common code
  arch/acorn        <- for RiscPC, A310/A410,A5000, A7000, RC7500, ....
  arch/hpcarm ?     <- iPAQ, eval boards and other hand held devices?
  arch/armisapci    <- for ARM boards using only std. PC pheriphals using
                       ISA/PCI like CATS, EBSA, DNARD, ....

but what about a Corel Netstation (or who owns it now?) where to classify
it then? Maybe a arch/arm32 could be a good idea to cover all the
arch/armisapci (lame name i admit) and other devices.

> > etc. and then to move the ARM CPU code into arch/arm/...?  This only makes
> > sense if we are indeed moving towards a common MACHINE_ARCH (i.e. using the
> > same ABI for userland).
>
> Yep, would make management of the arm ports easier.

That I must admit too...

Cheers,
Reinoud