Subject: Re: NetBSD/hpcarm snap code
To: Reinoud Zandijk <imago@kabel065011.kabel.utwente.nl>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/16/2001 12:14:45
On Fri, Feb 16, 2001 at 09:05:46PM +0100, Reinoud Zandijk wrote:

 > Well a board is more than the sa11x0 pheripherals ... so there still is a
 > bunch of stuff in sys/arch/arm32 but still.... hmmm....
 >
 > moving the stuff in sys/arch/arm sounds logical to me but only if all the
 > rest of the board specific stuff or hpcarm stuff is in the arm32 branch...
 > the SA11x0 can then be the processor only and MD stuff can then be called
 > using functions.

Please repeat after me -- the current notion of the "arch/arm32" directory
should go completely away, in favor of properly named port directories.

(See my previous message).

The current arrangement, in addition to encouraging bad coding practice,
is just a complete nightmare from a release engineering perspective (ever
wonder why the arm32 port never had any nice install tools?  This is one
of the reasons...)

--
        -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>