Subject: Re: NetBSD/hpcarm snap code
To: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@umbar.vaxpower.org>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/16/2001 10:59:33
On Fri, Feb 16, 2001 at 01:47:20PM -0500, Lord Isildur wrote:

 > just because somethign is on the chip physially doesnt mean it is not a
 > peripheral arhitecturally. A KA690 VAX processor has an NVAX processor but
 > also has an onboard ethernet and CI adaptor- are those part of the
 > processor or are they peripherals. I think they should be classified as
 > peripherlas, or as particular models of a processor within the same arch.

I always felt the the term "processor" was a bit overloaded in the VAX
world.

Really, the Ethernet and CI adapter are not part of the "processor", but
are defined by the "system type" (and, in the Alpha architecture, the term
"systype" is what is used).  The processor, as you pointed out, is
actually the "NVAX".

--
        -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>