Subject: Re: NetBSD/hpcarm snap code
To: Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/16/2001 10:43:26
On Fri, Feb 16, 2001 at 06:36:51PM +0000, Ben Harris wrote:

 > I think calling it "consensus" is optimistic, though the majority of
 > people seemed to be in favour of that kind of move.  In any case, I'm not
 > sure that on-chip peripherals really count as part of the ARM
 > CPU.  They're more equivalent to the IOMD or Footbridge, whose support
 > code would presumably live in the riscpc and cats directories
 > respectively.

No, I don't think so.  If it's on-chip, then any system that has that
CPU is going to have those devices -- and they really are part of that
CPU chip.  E.g. an "hpcarm" port is going to be separate from a port
to a random eval board that happens to have an SA11x0 on it, because it
could have different devices on it -- but the on-chip "peripherals" really
are common, due to the CPU.

--
        -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>