Subject: Re: NetBSD/hpcarm snap code
To: Jason R Thorpe <>
From: Ben Harris <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/16/2001 18:36:51
On Fri, 16 Feb 2001, Jason R Thorpe wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 16, 2001 at 06:16:23PM +0000, Ben Harris wrote:
>  > Hmm.  This assumes you ultimately want to move all the ARM
>  > peripheral-controller code over to sys/arch/arm, which only makes sense to
>  > me if you're trying to get rid of sys/arch/arm32.  This doesn't seem to be
>  > an entirely settled issue yet.
> I thought the consensus was to have:
> 	arch/archidemes
> 	arch/acornriscpc
> 	arch/cats
> 	arch/dnard
> 	arch/hpcarm
> 	arch/rc7500
> etc. and then to move the ARM CPU code into arch/arm/...?

I think calling it "consensus" is optimistic, though the majority of
people seemed to be in favour of that kind of move.  In any case, I'm not
sure that on-chip peripherals really count as part of the ARM
CPU.  They're more equivalent to the IOMD or Footbridge, whose support
code would presumably live in the riscpc and cats directories

> This only makes
> sense if we are indeed moving towards a common MACHINE_ARCH (i.e. using the
> same ABI for userland).

We are.  We're still deciding quite what it'll look like, though (We
changed the endianness of doubles this week).

Portmaster, NetBSD/arm26               <URL:>