Subject: Re: New snapshot of raster/Unicode console driver available
To: None <bjy@mogua.org>
From: Noriyuki Soda <soda@sra.co.jp>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/15/2001 15:32:13
Bang Jun-Young <bjy@mogua.org> wrote:
> > > - wsfontload(8) has been slightly modified to handle double byte fonts
> > >   properly. wscons.conf(5) also has been modified. See included sources
> > >   for details.
> >
> > It seems using own font format for big character set like Hangul or
> > Hanji is not really suitable. Could you look at World21 source to
> > use X11 font format?
>
> IMHO, X11 BDF font format is not suitable for fixed-size character cell
> console. Why do we spend a lot of memory for a lot of unnecessary
> FONTBOUNDINGBOX, SWIDTH, DWIDTH, BBX, etc., when we can put even more
> glyphs in it if we use bitmap format instead?

Please check World21 source really.
The utility in World21 can load X11 pcf font and pcf.Z font.
i.e. stock X11 fonts are usable as is.

This is one of very useful features of World21, and then we don't
really have our own font format for Hanji fonts.

BTW, latest World21 is now usable on NetBSD-1.5 (on i386 and some
hpcmips)
	http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~pf5y-inue/world21-13a1.tgz
--
soda