Subject: Re: Linux pseudo pty
To: Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/14/2001 22:09:24
On Thu, 15 Feb 2001, Darren Reed wrote:

#
# In some email I received from Greywolf, sie wrote:
#
# > hands all the back/forth communication to the kernel directly.  Since
# > the ssh processing layer is not built into the kernel, sshd uses
# > BSD-style ptys and has to remain alive and tend to the encryption.
#
# You're confusing technology here.

Figures.

# The passing of data between TCP connections for telnet/rlogin and the
# pty is possible because both "endpoints" are STREAMS in the Solaris
# environment.  The code which actually does this is NOT trivial - RTFS.
# For starters, there is a telnet kernel module which does all the passing
# and what not.

I don't happen to have a convenient copy of the FS to read, or I'd go
check that out.  Of course, Solaris has become something of an ugly
bloated beast, even more so with the advent of 2.8.

# Darren

				--*greywolf;
--
*BSD: Servers' choice!