Subject: Re: More Device Properties
To: Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@sibyte.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/14/2001 12:01:00
bjh21@netbsd.org (Ben Harris) writes:
> It's already been suggested that we should add an int *dv_loc to struct
> device, which would be a lighter-weight way of doing this.

That's actually insufficient on several grounds:

(1) what are the naems of these bloody things?  I suppose you could
also point to the 'locnames' from the 'struct cfdriver' of the parent
bus... but it makes for a bit of a mess.

(2) it doesn't handle non-integer locators.

There are several aspects of (2):

(a) what if your locators are integral values but don't fit into
'int'.  e.g. they're 64-bit bit pointers.  (or >32-bit pointers.)
It's a reasonable concern; lots of machines have >32-bit physical
address spaces.

(b) what if your locator really isn't number at all.  e.g. it's a
long-standing deficiency in the existing framework that you can't use
e.g. strings as locators.  (this might be desirable e.g. to match
PCMCIA cards, etc.)

cgd