Subject: Re: ntfs & per-mount target filename encoding/codeset
To: Noriyuki Soda <soda@sra.co.jp>
From: Jaromír <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/14/2001 10:09:09
Noriyuki Soda wrote:
> Why does this "per mount" flag?

Since I want support for encoding different volumes to different
forms/character sets/code sets.

> Certainly msdosfs needs per mount flag.

msdosfs actually needs two per mount flags - codeset of
the volume and codeset to which it should be recoded.

> What ntfs needs is either
> 	- system global codeset
> or
> 	- per process codeset
> Isn't it?

I don't feel like defining/writing necessary interface and code
for doing either of these.

> Unless some justification is made, I strongly believe that
> ntm_w{get,put,cmp} member should be moved from "struct ntfsmount"
> to global variable.

Maybe. It's equally easy to do either way. Doing this per-mount
is easier for now (no need to add sysctl to change the system global)
and a bit more flexible. It's good as prototype implementation, used
to better understand what is needed for generic stuff.

Jaromir
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>      http://www.ics.muni.cz/~dolecek/
@@@@  Wanna a real operating system ? Go and get NetBSD, dammit!  @@@@