Subject: USB lpt and NOPRIME
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Johnny C. Lam <lamj@stat.cmu.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/08/2001 13:59:09
Sweet, the primary author of CUPS notes:

The FreeBSD USB printer driver resets the USB printer on open,
unless you use the "unlptN" device.  This reset prevents some
printers from receiving the first bytes of the print job, which
then causes lots of spew... :(

Is this properly a bug in the ulpt code, or a bug in the printer?  I
notice that NetBSD doesn't have /dev/unlpt[0-9]* devices.  Should we?
Or do we need to create some sort of quirks table for USB printers?

     -- Johnny C. Lam <lamj@stat.cmu.edu>
        Department of Statistics, Carnegie Mellon University
        http://www.stat.cmu.edu/~lamj/