Subject: Re: Separation of cpu-specific from machine-specific stuff
To: Wolfgang Solfrank <ws@tools.de>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/08/2001 00:53:30
On Jun 16, 12:17pm, Wolfgang Solfrank wrote:
}
} Considerations:
}
} Using sys/arch/... for machine-specific stuff (related to $MACHINE)
} vs. sys/cpu/... for cpu-specific stuff (related to $MACHINE_ARCH) might
} confuse people.  Maybe we should change the names of the directories?
} Like leaving the cpu-specific stuff in sys/arch/... and moving the
} machine-specific things to sys/machine/... with appropriate modification
} of the scheme above (including the /usr/include symlinks)?

     I think it would be best to have cpu specific stuff in
sys/cpu/...  There is a lot more to a machine architecture then just
what cpu is being used.  Putting just cpu specific stuff in sys/arch
would be a misnomer.

}-- End of excerpt from Wolfgang Solfrank