Subject: Re: support for Samba "KERNEL_OPLOCKS"
To: None <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
From: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/03/2001 12:38:07
Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us> writes:

> Just FYI, in case anyone wants to implement this, there is already
> in-kernel infrastructure for something like this in the VOP_LEASE()
> vnode operation, currently used by NQNFS..  Currently all consumers of
> this interface are in-kernel.
>
> The 640k question is whether or not the semantics are sufficient to
> make samba happy.

I was hoping to find some sort of specification in the Samba docs, but
didn't see one. I just sent mail to samba-technical@samba.org to see
if something is available somewhere. Otherwise, it'll be a case of
trial and error based on the available userlevel source :-/

Is anybody else interested in doing this? Unfortunately, I don't think
I would have much time to spend on it in the near future (and anyway,
I know less than nothing about the code involved). I'd be more than
happy to test if somebody puts some code together, though, and if
nobody says anything now, I'll keep it on the constantly growing list
in the back of my head ;-)