Subject: Re: Japanese with wscons?
To: Noriyuki Soda <soda@sra.co.jp>
From: Bang Jun-Young <bjy@mogua.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/02/2001 21:58:12
Noriyuki Soda wrote:

> Bang Jun-Young wrote:
> > A Japanese Hiragana/Katakana wsfont is converted from jiskan16.bdf and
> > now available at http://kldp.org/~bangjy/vgafb/ . I would appreciate it
> > if somebody examine it and report to me any problem.
>
> Mm, statically having hanji/kana font in kernel is not good idea.
> It should be loadable from userland.

Yes, of course it should. I didn't say that I wouldn't provide loadable
font support with upcoming Unicode wscons driver. I'm sorry if I hadn't
make it clear at my home page where you would be able to find a sentence
like "Runtime font loading" which is already an _implemented_ feature.
Why I released the font in readable format as wsfont is because I needed
to make sure every glyph is correct.

> It is better to look at multi-lingualized console stuff by Yoshio
> Inoue, which is available on the following URL:
>         http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~pf5y-inue/world21-beta.html
>                 (unfortunatelly, written in japanese)
>         http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~pf5y-inue/world21-beta7.tgz
>                 (unfortunatelly, currently for NetBSD-1.4.*)

Unfortunately I can't read Japanese text at all. :(

> This includes many desirable features, for example:
>         - font is loadable from userland on the fly.
>         - all X11 font format is usable.
>           (no need to create special font file for console)
>         - multiple codset is available, and switchable on the fly.
>                 e.g. latin-[1-9], koi-8, euc-{cn,tw,kr,jp}, big5, sjis

I wonder: is it a patch for wscons or an userland program? Why hasn't it
been included as part of the standard distribution? Can such codesets
and fonts be displayed _together_ on a screen?

Jun-Young

--
Bang Jun-Young <bjy@mogua.org>