Subject: Re: Japanese with wscons?
To: None <bjy@mogua.org, uebayasi@soum.co.jp>
From: Noriyuki Soda <soda@sra.co.jp>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/02/2001 20:33:52
Bang Jun-Young wrote:
> A Japanese Hiragana/Katakana wsfont is converted from jiskan16.bdf and
> now available at http://kldp.org/~bangjy/vgafb/ . I would appreciate it
> if somebody examine it and report to me any problem.

Mm, statically having hanji/kana font in kernel is not good idea.
It should be loadable from userland.

It is better to look at multi-lingualized console stuff by Yoshio
Inoue, which is available on the following URL:
	http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~pf5y-inue/world21-beta.html
		(unfortunatelly, written in japanese)
	http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~pf5y-inue/world21-beta7.tgz
		(unfortunatelly, currently for NetBSD-1.4.*)

This includes many desirable features, for example:
	- font is loadable from userland on the fly.
	- all X11 font format is usable.
	  (no need to create special font file for console)
	- multiple codset is available, and switchable on the fly.
		e.g. latin-[1-9], koi-8, euc-{cn,tw,kr,jp}, big5, sjis
--
soda