Subject: Re: Thought...
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/31/2001 13:31:32
Greywolf wrote:

> What would it take to make a ccd-capable bootloader?  Not asking for someone
> to do it, but would it exceed the size of what's permissible?

ccd's aren't auto-configured so the bootloader would need to be able
to find the info for the components somehow - possibly hard-coded?
Size is also an issue on many architectures as the first stage usually
doesn't have enough room for something that's smart enough to know about
multiple disks.  What exactly do you want to acheive?

Note that the current architectures that support booting from RAIDframe
sets only do so for mirrors...  I guess you could conceivably fudge up
an installboot that somehow makes sure that the second stage is located
entirely on the same partition that the first stage is if you really
want too.

Simon.
NetBSD CDs, Support and Service:    http://www.wasabisystems.com/