Subject: Re: Questions about NFS stale file handles on NFS server
To: Ruibiao Qiu <ruibiao@arl.wustl.edu>
From: Jaromír Dolecek <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/30/2001 22:16:59
Ruibiao Qiu wrote:
> I was trying to find out the problem with our NFS server (NetBSD
> 1.4.1 i386).  There is problem in nfsrv_fhtovp() in

BTW, you should probably try 1.4.3 first.

> The 4.4BSD design book says that ESTALE is due to the disagreement
> of the generation number and the info in the inode.  But, what is

When file is removed and it's ffs inode is re-used to hold information
about new file, the generation number increases so that it's possible
to find out it's not the same file.
IIRC vnode has also generation number for similar reasons, but
that's not probably of great importance to you.

ESTALE means either that the file was removed on server
(or by other client) and the reference a client holds is
no longer valid. Nothing to worry about too much, it's quite
normal.

Jaromir
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>      http://www.ics.muni.cz/~dolecek/