Subject: Re: First snapshot of graphics mode console driver available
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/30/2001 13:20:50
>> Given that frame buffer memory access tends to be significantly
>> slower than regular memory access, it may make sense to re-render
>> the text into the new frame buffer location rather than do a
>> frame-buffer to frame-buffer copy.

It doesn't make sense to hardwire that assumption.  Some hardware can
be told to do blits within framebuffer memory very fast, even if
cpu-to-framebuffer access is slow.  (Sun's cg6 is an example; scrolling
got *immensely* better when I taught it to use the hardware...using
knowledge, incidentally, gained writing a game.  Never let it be said
games are useless. :-)

> That requires storing the character cells somewhere.

Well...it involves storing the character code information necessary to
re-render.  It doesn't necessarily involve storing the rendered bitmap.
And a screenful of characters is only what, maybe a few thousand bytes?
Surely not enough to worry about.  You need it for scrollback anyway.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca