Subject: COMPAT_LINUX: why getpid() turned into a chown()?
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Emmanuel Dreyfus <p99dreyf@criens.u-psud.fr>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/29/2001 23:29:08
I've now been stuck for more than a week on the same bug: When running
Netscape in emulation, a getpid() turns into a chown(), and it fails.

If I run Netscape on Linux, I have a setgid(), if I run it on NetBSD,
that setgid() is turned into a chown(). chown() is really called (I can
see that by doing a printf in kernel chown routine)so it's not a ktrace
problem. And it is called with a first argument which is not a filename.
It's my PID. So I assume Netscape really intended to do a setgid().

Now, I think that the problem could hide in glibc. Anyone has an idea of
how could I trace Netscape before entering kernel? gdb fails to do it,
it asks me for a thread id.

Please help, I'm stuck!

--=20
Emmanuel Dreyfus.
"L'achitecture x86 est impossible =E0 aimer." (John Hennessy)
p99dreyf@criens.u-psud.fr