Subject: Argh- /netbsd: WARNING: mclpool limit reached; increase NMBCLUSTERS
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Brian Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/29/2001 15:59:58
My system just locked on me with this error message.  I was untarring some
files onto an NFS exported LFS filesystem.  The filesystem is
approximately 60GB in size and was around 20% full when this happened.
I'm running GENERIC on NetBSD/i386 1.5.

I could ping the box, and even start to remotely log into it but the login
never got to the shell.  I tried logging in locally as root, with the same
problem.  I had to hard reset the system as I'm not aware of a soft way to
do so under NetBSD with shell access.  (Is there a way to do a nice
shutdown on a NetBSD system if you've access to the console?)

Hard rebooting the system resulted in the same error around the time the
LFS filesystem gets mounted and the NFS services kick off.  I'm not sure
if this is a networking or an LFS issue.

I've updated a copy of my GENERIC config file to up NMBCLUSTERS to be 512.
Can someone explain what this value represents and what types of system
activity cause the errors I encountered?

Thanks.

-brian.
--- Brian Chase | bdc@world.std.com | http://world.std.com/~bdc/ -----
Does anyone else have a sick sensation in their stomach that tells them
that we're going to start seeing postings by people using something even
more pathetic than a WebTV?  -- K.