Subject: Re: First snapshot of graphics mode console driver available
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/29/2001 10:57:33
>> One thing that might be worth looking for is scrolling multiple
>> lines as one jump, ie. if there is five lines to be rendered, then
>> don't render and scroll line per line, but do a scroll of five lines
>> at once and render then.

> That's a good idea, but unfortunately there's no way to predict more
> scrolling will happen after several lines scrolled up.

Well, no, but you can do a quick scan through the output waiting to be
printed, counting scrolls.  Or at least I've seen code that does, and
if you can't, I would submit your design is suboptimal. :-)  If
necessary, you could consume individual characters and keep track of a
memory buffer, queueing something for next timer tick to do the update,
and scroll only in the clock-driven code.  That way you have a whole
clock interrupt interval to accumulate scrolls.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca