Subject: Re: First snapshot of graphics mode console driver available
To: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/29/2001 10:31:14
On Mon, 29 Jan 2001, Izumi Tsutsui wrote:

> > If I remember correctly, I removed all of "#ifdef PCDISPLAY_SOFTCURSOR"
> > from the source. Emulating blinking hardware cursor in graphics mode is
> > much harder to implement.
>
> sys/dev/ic/pcdisplayvar.h (which is included by vga_pci.c) has it.
> Maybe "options PCDISPLAY_RASTERCONSOLE" (or something) is required
> to enable/disable this new feature.
>
> BTW, I think rasterconsole on VGA is fast enough. It had been used
> on Japanese version MS-DOS about 7 years ago with ~25MHz 486.
> It was actually faster than 20MHz 68030 ;-)

	A 25MHz 486 is a heavy amount of CPU compared to some NetBSD
	boxes - 16Mhz 68020 hp300s and sub MIP VAXstation IIs, both of
	which have graphics consoles, and should be able to benefit from
	this code.

	I think this is great work - just that that definition of 'fast
	enough' differs quite a bit between people :)

		David/absolute		-- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --