Subject: Re: UBC performance patch
To: Lennart Augustsson <lennart@mail.augustsson.net>
From: Chuck Silvers <chuq@chuq.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/28/2001 20:17:34
On Sat, Jan 27, 2001 at 11:30:57AM -0500, Lennart Augustsson wrote:
> Chuck Silvers wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Jan 26, 2001 at 09:10:46AM -0800, Jason R Thorpe wrote:
> > > Not only that, but if that Netscape is *really* idle, then its
> > > pages won't be referenced, and thus would be a good canidate for
> > > freeing, which will happen.
> >
> > under the scenario being discussed, pages from the idle netscape would
> > only be freed to make room for other anonymous pages, not for vnode pages.
> > certainly we must always reserve *some* memory for anonymous pages,
> > but not 2/3 of RAM.
>
> I think these limits should be adjustable.  If I want to reserve 2/3 (or some other
> figure) of the RAM for anon pages I think I should be able to.
>
>     -- Lennart

the plan all along has been for these thresholds to be configurable,
I just haven't had a chance to do that yet.  I didn't expect that it
would take this long to get through the other problems.  but since everyone
seems to think this is the most important problem now, I'll do this
before the crashing bugs when I get back.

-Chuck