Subject: Re: /dev/music weirdness
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
From: Lennart Augustsson <lennart@mail.augustsson.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/26/2001 21:48:12
Bill Studenmund wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Jan 2001, Lennart Augustsson wrote:
>
> > Bill Studenmund wrote:
> >
> > >  I think what needs to happen is that we actually need to let the UART
> > > _finish_ flushing things before we turn it off. :-)
> > >
> > > I'd suggest adding a delay loop to eap_midi_close. Off the cuff, something
> > > like:
> >
> > Sounds like a good idea, except DON'T USE DELAY().  Sorry for shouting,
> > but there are far too many delay()s in the kernel.  Use tsleep() instead.
>
> Ok, but the DELAY() was copied from the existing eap_midi_output code. :-)

Yeah, and that came from the SB midi code which I wrote.  I'm plead guilty on
all counts.  But I'm ashamed of putting that delay() there.  But when the hardware
is broken, and there is no way to sleep for a short time in the kernel (which I think
there really should be!!), well, what can you do? :-)

    -- Lennart