Subject: Re: /dev/music weirdness
To: Gavan Fantom <gavan@coolfactor.org>
From: Lennart Augustsson <lennart@mail.augustsson.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/25/2001 22:17:06
Gavan Fantom wrote:

> I'm playing about with /dev/music to do (eventually) some pretty heavy
> MIDI I/O.
>
> Firstly, a small gripe. /dev/music seems to be rather lacking in
> documentation. I've been relying so far on <sys/midiio.h> and the source
> for midiplay. Have I missed something blatantly obvious?

It's severely lacking in documentation, but this fact is documented. :-)
Check the midi(4) man page.  It also says that the API is compatible
with the OSS (Linux) API.  Or at least it was when I wrote it.
So any documentation you find for Linux should be largely applicable
here.  And if you feel like writing some documentation it would be great. :)

> Now, the problem: When I write data to /dev/music (having practially
> cut+pasted code out of midiplay), the last MIDI event seems to get lost.

This sounds like a bug.  But doesn't midiplay work properly?

    -- Lennart