Subject: Re: Questions on NetBSD's LFS filesystem behavior.
To: Brian Chase <bdc@WORLD.STD.COM>
From: Konrad Schroder <perseant@hhhh.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/24/2001 20:35:18
On Wed, 24 Jan 2001, Brian Chase wrote:

> Okay, one more LFS question.  Are there any truly bad side-effects to
> mounting an LFS filesytem with the `async' option?  The man page for

There are no effects ... LFS ignores the async option, since it's
almost-async by design.

> So, is this actually a concern with LFS?  I don't mind if I lose data. I
> just don't want to lose a whole filesystem.  Secondly, based on the design

In theory, LFS is much safer than FFS/async.  In practice, though, LFS is
still experimental and should be used with caution ... it would be a good
idea to have some kind of backup strategy, even more so than usual, if you
need any of the data, _even from files that you are not changing_.  It
works fine for me, but ymmv.
						Konrad Schroder
						perseant@hhhh.org