Subject: Questions on NetBSD's LFS filesystem behavior.
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Brian Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/24/2001 19:43:22
Maybe this is just a fundamental misunderstanding of how LFS works on my
part, but I'm seeing some significant discrepancies between the disk usage
reported by `df' and the actual disk usage reported by `du' on an LFS
filesystem of mine.  In addition, the total size of the filesystem, as
reported by `df' seems to be continuously changing as I copy several
hundred megabytes of data onto it:

  oreo# df -k /home ; du -sk /home
  Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
  /dev/wd0e    42067777   703873 37157127     1%    /home
  174789  /home

2 mins later...

  oreo# df -k /home ; du -sk /home
  Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
  /dev/wd0e    41492675   730397 36613010     1%    /home
  181135  /home

In my mind, 181135 KB != 730397 KB.

Is this correct behavior?  And if so, is there any documentaion on how LFS
works outside of reading the kernel sources?

-brian.