Subject: Re: pmap_is_referenced() -- not used?
To: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/24/2001 15:15:37
On Wed, 24 Jan 2001, Jason R Thorpe wrote:

#
# On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 11:53:07AM -0800, Jason R Thorpe wrote:
#
#  > 		if (pg is referenced)
#  > 			clear reference;
#  > 		else {
#  > 			/* NOTE: PAGE IS NOT PROTECTED IN ANY WAY! */
#  > 			move page to inactive list;
#  > 		}
#
# Sorry, this block was sort of un-clear.  I really mean:

Actually, the first time made more sense to me; why do you need
to clear a reference that doesn't exist?

If you're doing that, you might as well say:

	clear reference;
	if (!pg is referenced) {
		move page to inactive list;
	}

and save yourself the trouble of the else.

At least that's what I garner from the code.

# 		if (pg is referenced)
# 			clear reference;
# 		else {
# 			/* NOTE: DO NOT CHANGE PAGE'S PROTECTION! */
# 			clear reference;
# 			move page to inactive list;
# 		}
#

				--*greywolf;
--
*BSD: the power to swerve (penguins, worse than cane toads).