Subject: .s vs .S
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Ben Harris <bjh21@cam.ac.uk>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/22/2001 13:37:58
This has turned up on port-arm32 recently, but I think it's a wider
problem.

At the moment, sys/arch contains many assembler files, some of them with
names ending in ".s" and some in ".S".  As far as I can see,
emitrules() config(8) emits the same rules for assembling both of these
(being invocations of ${NORMAL_S}, but emitsfiles() only puts ".s" files
into ${SFILES}, which means that "make depend" doesn't check dependencies
for ".S" files.

This seems like a Bad Thing.  It seems to me that the best short-term
solution would be to have emitsfiles() somehow arrange to include ".S"
files in ${SFILES}.  In the long term, either the two suffices should be
made properly distinct or only one of them should be used.

FWIW, it looks like every port at the moment treats both of them as
assembler-with-cpp, which would make standardising on ".S" seem sensible.

Thoughts?

--
Ben Harris
Unix Support, University of Cambridge Computing Service.