Subject: Re: procfs_machdep.c
To: Johan Danielsson <joda@pdc.kth.se>
From: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/17/2001 12:35:44
On Wed, Jan 17, 2001 at 09:16:42AM +0100, Johan Danielsson wrote:

> Shouldn't this be implemented via some kind of linux_procfs? If I
> missed a discussion about this, just ignore me.

That is what FreeBSD does, and I considered that. However, since
the goal is mainly to provide only the necessary extensions for
Linux emulation (so you can do mount -t procfs -o linux procfs
/emul/linux/proc), there would be a lot of duplicated code.

Hence, I opted for a mount option. There was already some code
in procfs specifically targeted to Linux emulation.

Should the Linux-specific bits grow to a significant size,
splitting it of may make sense, but I don't suspect that'll happen;
it is not the intention to do a full Linux /proc implementation.

- Frank

--
Frank van der Linden                           fvdl@wasabisystems.com
Quality NetBSD CDs, Support & Service.   http://www.wasabisystems.com/