Subject: Re: Kernel <-> init communication for shutdown
To: None <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au, eeh@netbsd.org>
From: None <eeh@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/15/2001 20:16:57
	In some email I received from eeh@netbsd.org, sie wrote:

	> 	It's more like:
	>
	> 	1) Kernel input device driver notices a Magic Button was pressed.
	> 	2) Kernel tells init about the Magic Button.
	>
	> I don't think it's a good idea to add this mess to init.
	> Those magic buttons are console resources and should be handled
	> by whatever or whoever is controlling the console.

	That is not how I want it to be, all the time.
	My HPD390 has a soft power switch on the front which initiates a
	shutdown.  i don't need to be logged in or anything.  It's really
	good like that.

	What if X is frozen or whatever has the console is frozen ?

If X or whatever has the console is frozen you should
be able to get in over the network.  If inetd is not
working then it's unlikely that init will be able to
page in the parts needed to handle the rest.

Eduardo