Subject: Re: Kernel <-> init communication for shutdown
To: None <eeh@netbsd.org>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/14/2001 10:17:43
On 14 Jan 2001 eeh@netbsd.org wrote:

# Date: 14 Jan 2001 17:25:32 -0000
# From: eeh@netbsd.org
# To: martin@duskware.de, tech-kern@netbsd.org
#
# 	On Solaris, when inside X (running CDE) the shutdown doesn't happen imediately,
# 	but a requester prompts the user for the action he would like to happen, giving
# 	him "shutdown", "suspend" and "abort" as options.
#
# I don't think it's a good idea to have a single key turn off the
# machine.  I have had many instances where I have hit the power
# key on SPARCs accidentally or the screen is blank and I think it's
# shut down.  I think we need some way to verify the intention before
# shutting down on that keystroke.

IIRC, from the OBP, [shift]-[powerbutton] is required to actually shut the
machine off.

#
# Eduardo
#