Subject: Re: Japanese with wscons?
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/12/2001 20:17:54
In article <13662.979294370@coconut.itojun.org>,  <itojun@iijlab.net> wrote:

>	if you are in UTF8 mode, you can send UTF8 stream and print some text.
>	however, due to han unification, some of Japanese/Chinese/Taiwanese
>	characters will be presented in wrong glyph.  the problem do not
>	exist for other iso-2022 variants.
>	(i don't have any example here)

If I understand correctly, this is a font problem. If you had a
font that contained the correct glyph for each Unicode character,
then the display would be correct. The problem is that you are
trying to use a font that does not contain all the glyphs you need.

As for the missing characters, my understanding is that they are
rarely used and this is why they were not included in the unicode
standard.

I been through the encoding hell with japanese before; having three
different encodings is simply madness, as well as trying to guess
which one you have by looking at the bytestream [this shit is
actually published as a valid algorithm in the CJK book]. Let's
stick with Unicode; it is not perfect but it is the best you can
get without creating a mess.

christos