Subject: Re: Japanese with wscons?
To: None <bjy@mogua.org>
From: T.SHIOZAKI <tshiozak@astec.co.jp>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/12/2001 17:23:49
> Are there Han characters defined in ISO-2022-JP and EUC-JP but not in
> Unicode CJK unified ideographs region (and Extended)? In Korean KSX-1001
> standard (formerly known as KSC-5601) there are only 4888 Han ideographs
> defined and there's no problem since CJK ideographs include all of them.

1. Anyway, ISO-2022 variants is necessary for practical use in my country.
   Ten years later, Japanese will probably use Unicode, but will certainly
   continue to use ISO-2022, too :-)
2. It's very hard to implement the really correctly multilingual
   display system with using Unicode.
   Japanese people very strictly distinguish the variants of a glyph.
   To satisfy such requirement with Unicode, we need high-level
   implementation.  ISO-2022 is not enough, but this is better than
   low-level implementation of Unicode and this can be implemented
   easily than high-level Unicode system.
3. "Single Unicode font" is too big for several usages.
   Instead, it's useful that user can combine multipul fonts and
   select this combination for his requirement.
   ISO-2022 is natively subdivided and favorable to realize this function.
   Anyway, we should implement such "fontset" even if we use Unicode.
   And, it will be easy for us to directly support ISO-2022 if we implement
   the fontset.
   Please refer Sun's Unicode implementation for X.
     http://www.sun.com/software/white-papers/wp-unicode/
   Such approach is more easy to implement Unicode with strict distinction
   of the glyph than the direct implementation of the high level Unicode
   support.  Of course, such approach might not realize all functions of
   Unicode, but such functions might be unnecessary at least for the
   console implementation.  I think such approach is the most suitable for
   the console implementation.

--
Takuya SHIOZAKI / ASTEC Products, Inc.