Subject: Re: Japanese with wscons?
To: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
From: Bang Jun-Young <bjy@mogua.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/12/2001 15:38:37
itojun@iijlab.net wrote:
>         one queetion: how do you distinguish between CJK unified ideograms?
>         for some codepoint japanese/chinese/tiwanese/korean glyphs are
>         different, and it is the very problem why many of people do not
>         advocate Unicode and prefer iso-2022.  i'd really like to see
>         iso-2022 variants supported, since i'd like to mix CJK fonts, in
>         proper glyphs.

Are there Han characters defined in ISO-2022-JP and EUC-JP but not in
Unicode CJK unified ideographs region (and Extended)? In Korean KSX-1001
standard (formerly known as KSC-5601) there are only 4888 Han ideographs
defined and there's no problem since CJK ideographs include all of them.

Making the driver support ISO-2022 shouldn't be hard, but I'm worried
about reproduction of "Tower of Babel" in 21st century. For example
ISO-2022-JP and ISO-2022-KR are not compatible and can't used together
even though they use the same encoding method for representing characters.
EUC-JP and EUC-KR have the same problem, too. I'd like to see Japanese
and Korean (and many other languages as well) together on a screen.

>         you may want to check the latest lib/libc/locale for encoding-
>         independent multibyte handling.  not sure if it fits well into the
>         kernel.

I'll check it soon. Thank you.

Jun-Young

--