Subject: Re: Japanese with wscons?
To: None <bjy@mogua.org>
From: Masao Uebayashi <uebayasi@soum.co.jp>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/12/2001 14:43:42
> > Another implementation exists for NetBSD 1.4.
> >
> >         http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~pf5y-inue/world21-beta.html (in Japanese)
> >
> > But it dosen't catch up to 1.5 nor current.
>
> I wish I could read Japanese...

We should realize that no matter how well documents are written, they
will never be read if they're written only in Japanese...

> > > languages other than English. It uses UTF-8 encoding, and once it's
> > > completed you'll be able to see English, Japanese, Korean, etc. on "one"
> > > screen. The first test release will be available shortly (within this
> > > week or next).
> > Hmmmmm.  But many imput methods for Japanese dosen't support UTF-8 but
> > ISO-2022-JP, EUC-JP or Shift_JIS.  :-(
>
> They should be provided separately, anyway. IMHO, ISO-2022-JP/KR, EUC-JP/KR,
> and etc. are not for _universal_ operating system.

How should it be separated, do you think? It seems not realistic to me
that kernel (wscons) supports all the i18n functions like Citrus has.

I personally think if wscons provides bitmap display support, user
programs (e.g. kon) can do the all jobs, that is CJK input/output.

Masao

---
Masao Uebayashi <uebayasi@soum.co.jp>