Subject: Re: Japanese with wscons?
To: None <bjy@mogua.org>
From: Takahiro Kambe <taca@sky.yamashina.kyoto.jp>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/12/2001 14:22:30
In message <3A5E89B1.D4DF6A29@mogua.org>
	on Fri, 12 Jan 2001 13:36:01 +0900,
	Bang Jun-Young <bjy@mogua.org> wrote:
> >         http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~pf5y-inue/world21-beta.html (in Japanese)
> >
> > But it dosen't catch up to 1.5 nor current.
>
> I wish I could read Japanese...
By my poor partial translation of above Web page,

o Under i386 consists of

	wscons = vga + wskbd + wsdisplay + wsemul_vt100 + compat_usl

o Replace some componets:

	vga		=> gvga
	wsdisplay	=> wdpy
	wsemul_vt100	=> wdpyemul_world21

And it supports multiple charcter encoding scheme.

	ISO-8859-{1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,13,14,15}
	EUC-JP
	EUC-CN
	EUC-KR
	EUC-TW
	ctext(X compound text encoding)
	ISO-2022 (it says generic)
	Japanese Shift JIS
	BIG5
	KOI8-R
	KOI8-U

> > Hmmmmm.  But many imput methods for Japanese dosen't support UTF-8 but
> > ISO-2022-JP, EUC-JP or Shift_JIS.  :-(
>
> They should be provided separately, anyway. IMHO, ISO-2022-JP/KR, EUC-JP/KR,
> and etc. are not for _universal_ operating system.
Modern operating system should support I18N frame work, not single
encoding scheme.  Especially, terminal display and input.

> > You could get from xsrc/xc/fonts/bdf/misc/jiskan16.bdf with converting
> > from BDF format.
>
> Thanks but I don't know how to convert it to raw font.
I've read your mail just after sending previous my mail.  I'm sorry
that I can't think of such tool right now.

--
Takahiro Kambe <taca@sky.yamashina.kyoto.jp>