Subject: Can pseudo-devices be parents?
To: 'BSD Kernel' <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Ferrari, Stephen <smf@pirus.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/09/2001 20:21:27
I've written a very rough simulation of a SCSI adapter for a project I'm
working on which accepts SCSI commands (typically generated through the sd
driver) and processes them.  I could use a quick pointer on how to hook it
into the auto-config process, if someone has an idea.

Since there's no real hardware associated with the adapter, a pseudo-device
seemed the most appropriate model.  I define it in conf/files as:

pseudo-device sfadapter: scsi

which allows me to attach a scsibus to it in my config file:

scsibus* at sfadapter?
pseudo-device   sfadapter       1

but running config I get:

scsibus* at sfadapter? is orphaned
 (nothing matching sfadapter? declared)

Is this a limitation of pseudo-devices, or something I'm missing about
config and "files" files?  I hope the latter, since the only alternative I
can come up with is making it a "real" device at root; yuck.

Thanks very much,

	Stephen