Subject: Re: CVS commit: sharesrc
To: None <itojun@iijlab.net,tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/08/2001 13:23:13
[ from source-changes ]

In article <7408.978940964@coconut.itojun.org> you write:
>	in the tree, in many cases
>	- foo/arch/arm is visited for MACHINE_ARCH == arm26 cases, and
>	- foo/arch/arm32 is visited for MACHINE_ARCH == arm32 cases.
>	so the current declaration of MACHINE_CPU reflects this.
>>MACHINE_CPU=    ${MACHINE_ARCH:C/mipse[bl]/mips/:S/arm26/arm/:C/sh3e[bl]/sh3/}
>
>	i heard about a plan to have sys/arch/arm for better code sharing
>	between arm26 and arm32, so if it gets done, setting MACHINE_CPU
>	to "arm" for arm26/32 may be better.

"arm" is certainly the correct MACHINE_CPU for arm26 and arm32.  There are
some places where arm32 doesn't yet use the shared arm code, but that's a
bug in arm32, and will eventually be fixed.  Thus, I think you should:

 * Set MACHINE_CPU to "arm" for both arm26 and arm32.
 * Where they use different directories, check for MACHINE_ARCH==arm32 and
   use the arm32 directory.

Occurences of the second will eventually be removed, but I'd rather it got
done by someone who's actually got an arm32 machine to test it on.