Subject: Re: wscons scroll support
To: Paolo Losi <p.losi@lombardiacom.it>
From: John Hawkinson <jhawk@MIT.EDU>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/05/2001 09:51:12
| Martin Husemann wrote:
| >
| > A common scrollbuffer for multiple VTs doesn't make any sense. Get serious.
|
| Martin, that's what Linux and FreeBSD (IIRC) do.

Regardless, it is terribly non-intuitive, and there does not appear to be
a good excuse for it. "Uses too much memory" doesn't really fly.

(It might be interesting to have a large common pool of memory and let
individual VTs use as much as was available, but with minimum quotas,
so that one VT couldn't starve the others, but if the others were idle,
the principal VT could get larger than otherwise).

| > I would expect the scroll buffer to be allocated when enabled and that
| > VT scrolls for the first time. I often have multiple VTs configured
| If by enabled you mean something like
| wsconsctl --enablescrollbuffer 10k 0
| (possibly) used in the rc files I agree with you.

No.

| If you mean that is has to be allocated when you scroll
| the first time there could be a problem.

No.

He means the first time it outputs more than it's physical height
(e.g. the first time it gets more than 24 rows of data and
the physical screen has to scroll) -- not the first time scrollback
is activated.

--jhawk