Subject: Re: wscons scroll support
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Paolo Losi <p.losi@lombardiacom.it>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/05/2001 12:32:41
Martin Husemann wrote:

> A common scrollbuffer for multiple VTs doesn't make any sense. Get serious.

Martin, that's what Linux and FreeBSD (IIRC) do.

> I would expect the scroll buffer to be allocated when enabled and that
> VT scrolls for the first time. I often have multiple VTs configured
> in the kernel, but start the machine right away into X and never use any
> virtual console. So being punished with scrollback buffer for the boot
> console is enough.

If by enabled you mean something like
wsconsctl --enablescrollbuffer 10k 0
(possibly) used in the rc files I agree with you.
If you mean that is has to be allocated when you scroll
the first time there could be a problem.
You would get the same result that you get now
(with shared buffer) when you have just switched the screen:
You cannot scroll back because there not useful data in the buffer
(there's no buffer at all to be correct :)).
No scrolling back to see rc scripts output for example...

> Is it worth thinking about simple line-compression for the buffer (i.e. not
> copy whole physical lines, but only the start of the line to the last used
> position)?
>
> Martin

I wouldn't buy in that if we want a fast e scrolling console.

	Paolo